Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Way I See Things...

How are you doing, friends? I'm not meaning this to be your average, ordinary, every day type of question. I'm truly asking you, "How are you doing?" And I want to hear every single ounce of your answer. I've been thinking a lot lately about how Christians, including myself, are so quick to ask the question, but also so quick to blow off a response. It's so easy to feel as if no one wants to hear about how you really truly are, and at the same time, it's so easy to not take the time to stop and make a phone call or drop a note in the mail to let someone know that you are praying for them.
This has really been on my heart lately. We go to church and put on our "church faces" like life is good and nothing is ever ever wrong. WRONG! Our own lives get in the way, don't they? Trust me, I am the worst at this. If I don't hear from you, I assume that life is good. I'm such a slacker. I often pray for help and guidance in these specific incidents. I want to be conscious of other people and the goings ons in their lives.
I guess I've just been a little convicted lately about feeling that it's all about me. In Sunday School, we talked about what kind of grade the body of believers would get for care and concern of others. I wanted to stand up and say, "I big fat ZERO, Jack!" Not only do I make little effort to serve others, I often say that I'll pray for them and then not even one prayer about them will come out of my mouth. Prayers for my family and me? Of course! Prayers for others? Barely. Does anyone else struggle with this? Most times I feel that Christians get a bad wrap. Well, of course I do! I act so selfish most times.

So, where does this all stem from, you ask? Well, it's 1:45 a.m. Luke woke up to go potty and after I got him back into bed, I decided to come out to the couch and blog. Yesterday was an absolute horrible, no good, rotten day for me. And, since it's all about me, I did nothing but complain to everyone about it. In the midst of all of that complaining, I had friends e-mail me warm thoughts and wishes. I had another friend bring me and my family supper. I got my super cool purple eye-liner that I ordered from a friend and she made a special effort to get it for me, even though it was back-ordered. I got a special phone call from a friend who could totally empathize about the antics of my two-year-old. For what, friends? Care. Concern. Love. I am truly humbled.

Lord, I pray for your mercy and grace. Forgive me for being THAT person. The person that seeks to fulfill selfish desires instead of your will. Create in me a clean heart, God, so that I can serve others the way that I have been served. Help me to be mindful of others' needs. Grant me a peace that surpasses all understanding. A peace that will lead me towards open doors. I want you to open doors for me, God, so that I can truly show others the love of Christ. I want that, God. I need that, God. Amen.
And p.s. God...help my son to have a better day tomorrow. It can't get much worse!

No comments: